Wednesday, December 6, 2017

On never giving up ...

I recently found out that Winston Churchill is a distant cousin. Out of all the distant relations I'm finding connections with using Ancestry's "We're Related" app, he is my favorite.  His ability to inspire courage, bravery and and righteous obstinacy resonate with me. That wonderful British obduration strengthened the spirits of a nation. His charge to "never, never, never give up" has been a mantra for me so many times in my life.  I pair it with Philippians 4:13, "I can do all things through Christ which strengthens me."

This train of thought fits so well with a stanza from my favorite poem, "If--" by Rudyard Kipling.
"If you can make one heap of all your winnings

    And risk it on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
    To serve your turn long after they are gone,   
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
    Except the Will which says to them: ‘Hold on!’"

I set this intention for my life - to resolutely, steadfastly get through whatever it is that I have to get through.  I cling to, not my own strength to see things through, but that with the determination to do so there is One greater by far than I who will see me through.

Churchill rallied the people during the horror and oppression of war; while we are not facing (thankfully), the horrors of the world at war, we are facing a spiritual battle. 

When your plans fall apart - never give up.
When you are harshly judged and your feet begin to falter - never give up.
When you've been slighted, betrayed, or abandoned - never give up.
When the odds seem insurmountable - never give up.
When you feel devalued - never give up.
When you are just plain sick of the twisted world - never give up.

There is not one darned thing or one darned person who can separate you from the love of Christ. There is not one thing that this world can sling your way that His love cannot conquer.  And may you have to content yourself with knowing that you may not see the physical victory in this life, but as Shadrach, Mescach and Abednego knew, when having done all STAND. They knew this and proclaimed to Nebuchadnezzar, "If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to deliver us from it, and he will deliver us from your Majesty’s hand. But even if he does not, we want you to know, Your Majesty, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up."

The battlefield you find yourself in the thick of may be on the job, with your health, within your family, even church - but never, never, never give up. Things may not look. They might look like it is time to throw in the towel or to run to a corner and lick your wounds.  Resist.  Ephesians 6:13 "Therefore take up the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you will be able to stand your ground, and having done everything, to stand. Because of this, take up the complete armor of God, so that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all things, to stand."

Never give up. Trust in the God who loves you and values you more than you can even fathom. Having done all, clothe yourself in Him and stand.