Saturday, February 10, 2018

Resilience...

This week I created a lesson on Dr. Ben Carson for Black History Month.  My goal was to show to these  children how Dr. Carson applied Leader in Me Habits s such as "put first things first," "begin with the end in mind," "synergize," and "be proactive."  (Aside: they were VERY engaged, made me so happy. I combined it with discovering their talents and helping others find theirs). 


Ben Carson wrote this: “Success is determined not by whether or not you face obstacles, but by your reaction to them. And if you look at these obstacles as a containing fence, they become your excuse for failure. If you look at them as a hurdle, each one strengthens you for the next.”   This quote really spoke to me.  Then it hit me:  RESILIENCE.  If I think of poems, stories, movies, etc, that I have  been drawn for my whole life, the vast majority of them paint pictures of resilience.  My favorite poem of all time, "IF--" by Rudyard Kipling exemplifies resilience. The Childhood of Famous Americans series that I read through as a child featured biographies of resilient men and women. The Lord of the Rings, Song of Albion, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, Unbroken, Invictus. The people I've always admired - John Adams, Robert the Bruce, Winston Churchill. Steadfastness in the face of uncertainty, stalwart determination, stick-to-it-iveness. Endurance. Intestinal fortitude. Keeping a stiff upper lip. All great, but there has to be HOPE, there has to be something bigger that keeps that lip stiff and that head up. 

So it is not surprising that the Bible verses which have spoken to me most all speak of resilience and where it comes from. 

2 Corinthians 4:8-9 We are troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed.

Philippians 4:12 I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want.

Ephesians 6:13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm.

Hebrews 10:23 Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for He who promised is faithful.


No doubt that I've always been drawn to this quality of determination and strength - but I've seen in my life that it is nothing without Christ. "Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we will remember the name of the LORD our God." That's where the strength comes from.  

The instant I heard "In the Eye of the Storm" in chapel last year, it became one of my favorite songs...


"When my hopes and dreams are far from me 
And I'm running out of faith
I see the future I pictured slowly fade away
And when the tears of pain and heartache are pouring down my face
I find my peace in Jesus' name

In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
In the middle of the war, You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor, when my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me, in the eye of the storm"


What a beautiful picture of resilience. An anchor. What is an anchor for? To  prevent a craft from drifting due to wind or current. To keep one on course. Headed in the right direction. Prevented from going adrift and making a shipwreck of your life.  Ephesians 6:19 "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure."

There needs to be a "course"...but that is writing for a different day. :) 

No comments: