Sunday, November 11, 2018

Kintsugi

After all these years, he thought aloud
Maybe he didn't understand
Love
Wasn't it a hand that was snatched away?
A comfortable shoe
That wore down and got tossed in the trash
When the rocks and wet came in
A scenic view but beware the precipice
Tread carefully, play it safe
No, no
After all these years
Her heart had a different understanding
Love
Is to be vulnerable and hold on
Its behaving like an idiot
And knowing, even if I'm a jerk
I'm your jerk and you are mine
It is to spend forever
Working to fit square pegs into round holes
With the faith that
Someday
The puzzle would come together
It is stepping out in fear but believing
That a gift of each heart will be treasured by the other
And so I place mine in your hand
Taking yours in mine
Accepting each as a precious
Once exchanged, we commit
That we shall guard them carefully
And if you should stumble, or should I?
Love is accepting that a crack or two
Might need some TLC
Some glue to fix...but we don't throw away
We'll mend them with gold, Kintsugi
And those repairs will add to the history and
Beauty of the love we share
Until then
Take take my dog hair
And I'll take your pessimism
Take my need for reassurance
And I'll banish your insecurities
We'll take misunderstandings and
Plunge recklessly past them
We'll stand on that precipice and enjoy the scenic view
And jump
Together
Because love doesn't play it safe
Yet it's the most secure place you'll ever be

A work in progress 11/11/2018

No comments: