Saturday, February 17, 2024

Night Sweats... an answer to a question about inspiration

Today I was asked how I am inspired, what motivates my poetry.  I replied that it isn't so much motivation, it's more like sweat. You don't ask your body to perspire, it just does. You exert or become overheated, maybe you are slammed by stress and so your body cools you.  Poetry is the sweat of emotions and it has no choice but to flow and cool you when the feelings are too strong.


Night sweats
Turn down the heat
The words can’t sleep!
Bursting to the surface
A thousand glands of feelings
Triggered
Too much to control and so…
Thoughts connect to feeling
The dam is breached
Escaping my pores
Words flow
Break free
Pouring through my skin
Coursing down to my fingertips
Out, out --  onto the page
Organic they rush forth
Emotions spilling
Emanating from within
Tangled in language
Words for grief, for passion, for anger, for joy
Wet and salty they take their place
Syllables and sentences
I write release
I write and then… comes peace
I pull up the blanket
Sigh 
    and fall back asleep

2/17/24



No comments: